Friday, October 30, 2009

Soup + 1/2 Sandwich Special at Whole Foods

Like most people trying to stay on a budget, I rarely go into Whole Foods. Every time I go, it's like some magical force comes over me and I wind up spending ridiculous amounts of money on something crazy like dried beans. I don't know why I decided to go in again, but I'm glad I did! Turns out, Whole Foods has some amazing lunch deals. Their hot food and salad bar is $7.99 a pound, which is only a tiny bit more than most of the delis close by that serve old tuna and wilted lettuce. There was a huge range of options; they had everything from curried chicken and mango salad to bbq tofu. While the deli and salad bar was tempting, the 8 oz. soup and 1/2 sandwich deal for $7 caught my eye. The carrot and ginger, clam chowder, and roasted tomatoes and basil soups all looked amazing-but I decided to go with the roasted tomato and basil. The sandwich choice was a little bit more difficult, every option looked amazing! I had trouble picking between the chicken, gouda and apple sandwich, and the turkey with basil mayonnaise. I decided to go with the turkey, which ended up being an excellent match with the soup.

The soup had whole chunks of tomatoes in it, and was well seasoned with basil. There wasn't as much meat on the sandwich as I would have hoped, but it was still absolutely amazing. The meat was so fresh, as were the tomato and lettuce. The basil mayonnaise was light and refreshing, as was the sprinkling of Parmesan cheese. For $7, the portion and quality of the meal was amazing! I'm definitely going to go back to try back a different combination soon.
Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment