Sunday, October 25, 2009

El Moderno

Despite less than amazing reviews on yelp and menupages, my friends and I decided to try El Moderno out for brunch (primarily because of its super close proximity to both of our apartments). I’m glad that laziness won out; because this place actually ended up having the best brunch we’ve come across yet since we all moved to Williamsburg. Granted, it wasn’t anything amazing, but I’ll take what I can get after a late night! We went in around 2 pm, and the place was absolutely empty. The menu had all of your typical brunch fare(eggs benedict, french toast, pancakes,ect) but it also had some options with more of a Mexican flair (huevos rancheros, steak burrito with red pepper and onion, and steak and eggs). All items are priced at 10 dollars, and come with coffee, tea, a mimosa (orange, strawberry, or passion fruit flavored) or bloody marry, not a bad deal at all! I opted for the huevos rancheros with black beans and rice with strawberry juice, while my friends ordered the pancakes with fruit salad and a coffee, and the steak burrito with french fries and a passion fruit mimosa. The beverages came quickly, and although the portions of my strawberry juice and the passion fruit mimosa were small, they were both refreshing. Our food took about 20 minutes to arrive even though we were the only people in there, but it was worth the wait. My huevos rancheros were absolutely loaded with salsa and cotija cheese, and the avocado that topped it was fresh and delicious! The eggs were well cooked, and the rice and beans were well seasoned. The pico de gallo that came on the side was super spicy and a little bit too salty, but I found myself constantly adding more of it to my dish for some reason!

The pancakes were fluffy and topped with powdered sugar, and the fruit salad on the side was generously portioned and fresh.

I didn’t get a chance to try the steak burrito, but both of my friends said that it was well seasoned, perfectly cooked, and all around amazing!

I would definitely come back to El Moderno for brunch; the food was great and the price and location are definitely right!
Address: 519 Metropolitan Ave, Brooklyn 11211
Phone: (718) 384-6429
Average Price: $10 for any brunch item (includes coffee, tea, or alcoholic beverage)
Grade:B

1 comment: