Sunday, November 1, 2009

Warma Cafe

I've been on quite the brunch kick lately in case anyone hasn't noticed. This weekend though, things were a little different. My roommate hurt her foot pretty badly, so we decided to order in instead of going out like we usually do. We settled on Warma Cafe because of it's affordability, and because it had both French Toast with sausage ($4.50 for french toast,$3 for sausage.) and Huevos Rancheros($6) on the menu-the two dishes we were craving. I first tried calling in the order at 12:30-only to be hung up on twice by mistake. I waited another 10 minutes to call back, and finally got someone. I placed the order and was told it would be 30 minutes before we got it. 45 minutes later, I called back to check on its status. The woman on the phone was beyond rude to me, even though I was very polite, and actually hung up the phone without answering me. We waited another 30 minutes, and the food still hadn't come. I called back again and asked about the status of the food again, and the women told me that the delivery man was just leaving, but not before SHE TOLD ME NOT TO CALL BACK TO CHECK AGAIN BECAUSE SHE WAS TOO BUSY! After waiting an hour and 15 minutes when I was told it would only be 30, I think it is totally reasonable to call to check on the food twice, especially since I was so polite. Thankfully, the food arrived about ten minutes later, putting our wait time at about 1 hour and 30 minutes. Ridiculous, especially considering the proximity of the place to my apartment. All of that aside though, the food was actually really good. The tortillas on my huevos rancheros were clearly freshly made, as was the salsa. The salsa was amazing- seasoned with just the right amount of onion.

The eggs even tasted better than eggs normally do, I think they must have cooked them in grease from the bacon or sausage (which is bad for vegetarians, but good for me!) My only complaint was that the refried beans were really dried out around the edges- I actually thought it was bread when I first saw it because of the texture. My hashbrowns that came with them weren't anything special, but I don't have any complaints.

My roommates french toast was moist and really delicious- although pretty basic. The sausage wasn't anything great; it was moist but under seasoned.

All in all, our "breakfast" was amazing, but the poor service REALLY detracted from the experience. I would only eat there again if I actually went into the restaurant-but even then I would be skeptical about the wait time. A dilemma!
Address: 442 Lorimer St Brooklyn, NY 11206
Phone: (718) 963-2003
Average Price: $5.50 for Breakfast/Brunch
Grade: A for food, F for service

No comments:

Post a Comment