Friday, November 13, 2009

Homemade Shrimp Po'boys

After a long day, nothing is as satisfying as biting into an awesome sandwich.Sandwich of choice for this week? Shrimp Po'boys, a personal favorite of mine. Lucky for me, I live right by Napoli Bakery, which has some of the most amazing bread I have ever had. No matter when you go, all of the bread is fresh and crusty with a super soft inside. I picked up a loaf of bread, a little bit over a pound of deveined shrimp, and headed back home to start cooking! After cleaning the shrimp and setting vegetable oil on the stove to heat up (for frying the shrimp), I mixed together my own recipe for a seasoning:
1/2 cup white flour
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1 tbs chili powder
1 tbs cajun seasoning, or cajun salt
1/2 tbs lemon pepper

Toss the shrimp in the seasoning until fully coated. It helps the mixture stick if the shrimp is still a little damp from the cleaning. When the oil starts to pop, slowly drop half of the shrimp in ( if you add the full batch, the temperature of the oil drops too much and the batter gets soggy before it fries).
While the first batch is cooking, prepare the sauce by mixing together:
3/4 cup mayo
Juice from 1/2 a lemon
1 tsp cajun salt or seasoning
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp lemon pepper

The shrimp usually cooks in about four minutes, but if they are larger I would leave them in for 5-6. After you take out the first batch ( place on paper tower to remove excess oil) and put in the second, toast the bread, and put the sauce on one side and lettuce on the other. I like to squeeze the juice from the rest of the lemon on the side of the bread without the sauce, but I am slightly obsessed with tangy flavors. Serve the moment the second batch of shrimp comes out of the pan for a crispy, tangy, and all around delicious sandwich.

1 comment:

  1. Kelly this looks so good make it for me when you come home

    ReplyDelete