Tuesday, December 15, 2009

M Noodle Shop



I wanted to like M Noodle Shop, I really, really did. It's minutes away from my apartment (on the walk home from the train no less), the menu items looked amazing, and they are open 24 hours a day ( can you say dream come true?) I stopped in for takeout after a seriously long day, and was immediately greeted by the owners, who could not have been nicer. They offered me water, went over the menu options with me, and shared their favorite dishes (the Sliced Pork Belly Noodle Soup and Fried Pork Buns) I was looking for something that I knew would fill me up- so I decided on their Chicken Curry dish, and ordered it to go. And then I waited, and waited, and waited. Despite the fact that there was almost no one in the restaurant, my order took almost 45 minutes to emerge. The owners were really nice about it; they kept offering me water and thanking me for bearing with them as they ironed out the kinks. My food finally arrived, and I quickly took it home. Right from the start, I knew something was off about the dish. First of all, there was no sauce (which I was told there would be), and the chicken looked burnt and dry. I took my first bite, and literally spit it out. The chicken was burnt on the outside, but entirely undercooked(think raw) on the inside. The flavors were way off-instead of the curry being savory, it was bitter and unpalatable. The potatoes, which were the only other distinguishable item in the dish, were also barely cooked. I'm typically not one to complain to the restaurant when I dislike a dish, but in this case it was actually inedible, and I cant validate paying $9 for something I take less than a bite out of. I called the restaurant and explained the situation, and the owner immediately offered to send over a replacement dish, free of charge, which I was not expecting. I opted to go with one of their recommendations this time: The Sliced Pork Belly Noodle Soup. The dish arrived 15 minutes later in two separate containers for the broth and the noodles and pork, which I appreciate for reheating purposes. While the noodle soup wasn't nearly as bad as the chicken curry dish, it was still far from great. The pork belly was slimy, the noodles were overcooked and lacking in flavor, and the broth was super greasy. I'm going to stay away from M Noodle Shop for now, but I might give it another shot in a few months when they've settled in. They seem to have the potential to be a really great place once they iron out all the kinks in the kitchen.

Address:549 Metropolitan Ave, Brooklyn 11211
Phone:
(718) 384-8008
Average Price: $8

Grade: D-

No comments:

Post a Comment